Pre-finished siding products have grown in popularity as housing prices have continued to climb. Builders are seeing the advantage of eliminating one more step in the construction process while providing strong exterior finish guarantees for their clients.
Wood is becoming increasingly expensive and difficult to source, and fiber cement and engineered siding products are filling the gaps. Fiber cement has been the low-cost option for years, and now there are great alternatives as well.
What is Fiber Cement Siding?
Fiber cement siding started gaining popularity in the U.S. in the mid-1980s after asbestos was removed from it. It is a manufactured product made from a mixture of wood fiber, sand and portland cement. The wood fiber helps prevent the cement from cracking.
Touted as fire-proof, insect-proof and weather-proof, it is sold with a wood grain pattern or a smooth finish. Fiber cement is available in various widths and styles of lap siding, sheet goods, 1x and 5/4 boards. It is often chosen over wood siding for all of the benefits, including its cost-effectiveness.
While fiber cement is a great option, homeowners now have the opportunity to select between fiber cement and other similar modern options, like LP® SmartSide®.
What is LP SmartSide?
LP SmartSide is an engineered siding and trim board that combines the strength of laminated wood with an advanced formula of resins, waxes and zinc borate in a process called SmartGuard®. SmartGuard protects against water damage, termites and fungal decay in an eco-friendly siding and trim product that has:
- Excellent impact resistance against hail up to 1.75” in diameter
- Hail and wind resistance up to 200 mph gusts
- An industry-leading 5/50-year limited warranty
Benefits of Selecting LP ExpertFinish® Siding
In addition to the superior paint finish that comes on all LP ExpertFinish Siding and Trim products, you will also benefit from the time-saving features built into every piece:
- Each section of siding is manufactured with a 3/16” shiplap groove on the end, which automatically provides the recommended spacing and removes the need for flashing at joints.
- There is no need for caulking at joints.
- The siding is 16’ long and covers a larger area quicker.
- LP ExpertFinish Siding and Trim is easy to cut and trim.
- The woodgrain finish is realistic and very comparable to classic wood siding look.
All pre-finished siding products come with a warranty, but LP’s ExpertFinish products are covered by their exclusive 5/15/50-year warranty that covers the entire line of pre-finished siding and trim.
This warranty includes coverage exclusive to the ExpertFinish line:
- For the first 5 years, LP provides a full labor and material warranty on the paint finish and substrate.
- The finish is warranted for 15 years from the date of installation for protection against discoloration due to chalking, peeling, blistering and cracking.
- A limited 50-year warranty covers the basic siding.
- The warranty is not through third-party vendors but through LP. That means warranty claims are handled in-house.
U.S. LUMBER Helps You Make Lifetime Customers
Your builders, contractors and DIYers want to stay informed about best practices and the latest technological developments in construction materials. Whether it’s prefinished fiber cement or LP SmartSide, our sales force at U.S. LUMBER works tirelessly to keep you up-to-date and fully stocked with inventory you can sell confidently and profitably.
LP SmartSide and LP ExpertFinish Siding and Trim are just two of the LP product lines that we can provide. Check out our entire inventory, which includes composite decking, engineered structural members, moulding and millwork and so much more.
We have over 30 locations and a dedicated outside sales force. We can provide product knowledge to you and your sales team and help with on-site assistance if needed. Contact us today for more information on our product line or to schedule an appointment with one of our reps.